PHUKET: A fire that broke out in a vegetarian restaurant during the breakfast rush today caused customers to scatter.
Only minor injuries were reported from the incident.
The cook at the Num Heng vegetarian restaurant on Chana Charoen Road told police that she was cooking when the fire started from the gas canister she was using.
“I turned my back to get something, and heard a strange sound. When I turned around again, the canister was on fire,” she said.
She tried to control the flames, but was unsuccessful, said Capt Saneh Yensai of the Phuket City Police.
The owner of the restaurant also tried to put the fire out and received minor burns to his shoulder.
Police were notified of the fire at 7:15am and rushed to the scene along with Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) Phuket and two fire trucks. The fire was under control within 20 minutes, said Capt Saneh.
“Only a small area inside the restaurant was damaged,” he said.