PHUKET: A 14-year-old British boy, on holiday with his family, went into shock and died after consuming a single cashew nut last night in Patong.
Ethan Williams was taken to Patong hospital, but died en route, Patong Hospital Director Dr Sirichai Silapa-acha said.
Doctors believe that Ethan died either from an acute allergic reaction to the cashew nut or bronchial spasms brought about by bronchostenosis, a sudden narrowing of the bronchial tubes.
At about 8:30pm last night, police were notified of the tragedy.
“We questioned the family, who explained they had come to enjoy a holiday in Phuket. They went to Karon Beach and then headed to Jungceylon in Patong for some shopping and dinner,” Patapee Srichai of the Patong Police said.
“The family explained that they had ordered some cashew nuts as a side-dish, and that Ethan had only eaten a single one before he went into shock,” Capt Patapee said.
The family declined to have an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death, Dr Sirichai said.