PHUKET: Underpasses are the new mega-project craze on Phuket as officials scramble to find long-term solutions to the island’s mounting traffic congestion.
Work is already well underway for Phuket’s first underpass at the Darasamuth Intersection in front of the Central Festival Phuket shopping mall, which was started on November 23 last year (story here
The newest addition to several underpass projects currently in progress or being planned (story here
) is a Chalong underpass, which will be designed to lessen the traffic woes and tailbacks that plague Chalong Circle (map here
The six routes being considered for the underpass were unveiled to the public on July 2 (story here
The routes being considered are:
1. Route one: two-way between Chao Fa East Road and Wiset Road (to Rawai);
2. Route two: two-way between Chao Fa West Road and Wiset Road;
3. Route three: one-way southbound from Chao Fa East Road and one-way southbound from Chao Fa West Road to Wiset Road;
4. Route four: one-way southbound from Chao Fa East Road to Wiset Road and one-way northbound from Wiset Road to Chao Fa West Road;
5. Route five: two-way between Chao Fa East Road and Patak Road (to Kata-Karon);
6. Route six: one-way southbound from Chao Fa East Road to Patak Road.
In our latest poll, we ask Phuket Gazette
readers: “Is an underpass the best solution for the traffic woes at Chalong Circle?”
Responses available in the poll are:
1. Yes, at least one of the proposed options seems viable.
2. Yes, but none of the proposed options seem viable.
3. No, there should be traffic lights there.
4. No, they should widen the roads.
5. No, they should reduce the volume of traffic altogether by providing public transport.
6. No; no action is needed as there is no traffic problem there.
To have your say in this poll, click here
If your preferred option is not listed, feel free to enter it in the comments section below, and we’ll make sure it gets counted.
If you have already voted and want to check the latest results, click here
To view the results of our previous poll, asking “What would you spend 2.6bn baht on for Phuket if it were sitting in your living room in cash, shrink-wrapped, and ready for delivery?”, click here
Have an idea for a poll? Contact us with your suggestions at email@example.com