PHUKET: The fire that caused the liveaboard dive boat MV Blue Star
to sink in Myanmar waters was started by an electrical short circuit in the engine room, confirmed Ranong Marine Office Deputy Chief Pramuan Thessana this morning.
“The dive boat left from Thap Lamu Pier in Khao Lak on January 29,” Mr Pramuan said.
“It took the tourists on a diving trip to Mu Koh Surin National Park. The fire started while the boat was at sea, on the border with Myanmar (story here
A fishing boat contacted the Myanmar Navy, which sent a boat to rescue them. Everyone on board the dive boat was safely rescued, Mr Pramuan told the Phuket Gazette
“The passengers and crew were transported to Ranong and then to Phang Nga,” Mr Pramuan added.
The Blue Star
is the second liveaboard dive vessel to end up on the floor of the Andaman Sea within as many weeks.
On January 29, MV The Flying Carpet
, operated by Aladdin Dive Safari, sank near the Similan National Park (story here