Common law marriages and visas

I am looking to retire in Phuket on a non-immigrant visa. I am over 50 and meet all the financial criteria. I note that a foreign retiree married to a foreigner may apply to include his or her spouse on the non-immigrant visa.

I am a British man and my spouse is Filipina. We have been together for a number of years. In our current country of residence, Singapore, our common-law status was recognized following a statutory declaration witnessed by a notary public and an endorsment letter to that effect from the British Consulate.

Our question: would the same procedure be acceptable proof of marriage in Thailand for the purpose of applying for a dependent visa?

Brian Evans, Singapore.

Add Comment
1 Answer(s)

The common-law wife status declaration as described in your query will not be recognized by Immigration for the purpose of obtaining a one-year dependent visa.

Only a legally married spouse may be granted a dependent visa under a spouse’s retirement visa. In Thailand, only a marriage certificate may be used for this purpose.

Friedrich Fauma, Senior Partner of Phuket International Law Office.

Answered on September 15, 2004.
Add Comment

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.