Debt recovery

I invoice many travel agents in Patong, Kata and Karon every day. But some travel agents don’t pay for a month or longer, or pay by check which the bank returns due to insufficient funds in the account. Who has can resolve this problem? Are there any Thai laws or government departments that can help me recover these debts?

Tudou Pian, Phuket.

Add Comment
1 Answer(s)

In Thai law, bouncing a check offered as payment for goods and services is a specific criminal offense carrying a penalty on conviction of up to one year in jail. If your bank returns a check, for whatever reason, a complaint may be filed with the police within three months of the check being returned by the bank. Another option is to file a complaint with a court to obtain an order to force the debtor to pay.

Sam Fauma, Director, International Law Office.

Answered on December 7, 2001.
Add Comment

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.