How can I make my motorcycle legal?

I bought a secondhand motorbike in January 2004 and I received the green log book, photocopies of the previous owner’s identification papers and a signed consent form.

When my girlfriend checked the logbook, though, she noticed that the bike was registered as red, although the bike I had bought was blue.

She told me that I couldn’t have this information changed, but the previous owner could. So I took the log book back to the previous owner, who agreed to change the colour for me.

Unfortunately, I haven’t seen him since (I believe he has left Phuket). Now, my tax and insurance discs have run out, but no one seems to know how can I obtain a copy of the log book or how I can get the tax and insurance disks without the log book.

I do have the signed consent form and the photocopies of the previous owner’s documentation; I have not stolen the motorbike.

Also, I have been fined for not having my documents in order, but I have been fined different amounts in different places: 300 baht at Patong police station, 500 baht in Kata and 900 baht in Kathu. I realise that I am committing an offence – which I am trying to rectify – but I don’t understand why I am being fined different amounts.

Mr J, Karon.

Add Comment
2 Answer(s)

You should bring a copy of the previous owner’s ID card, the signed consent form, including the contract of sale, your passport, your work permit and confirmation of your address in Phuket (ask at the Immigration Office for this) to the PPTO.

If you bring all these documents, you should be able to declare the old log book lost and at the same time change the documentation regarding the motorbike’s color.

Teerayuth Prasertphol, Chief Technical Officer of the Phuket Provincial Transportation Office (PPTO).

Answered on November 16, 2004.
Add Comment

Traffic police have the authority to fine people at their discretion. According to Thai law, anyone who has a vehicle that is not taxed can be fined up to 2,000 baht, and up to 10,000 baht if the vehicle is not insured.

The Department of Insurance at the Ministry of Commerce has been recommending to police stations that they adopt a set 500 baht fine for a first offence, but the final decision lies with each police station.

Pol Lt Sutham Rattanasawangwong, Deputy of Traffic Police of Chalong Police Station.

Answered on November 16, 2004.
Add Comment

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.