Immigration hurdles after moving province

My farang wife and I have type-O retirement visas. These were issued on December 17, 2006, at the Immigration office in Phuket City.

In September, we moved from Phuket, to live permanently in the Nakhon Sri Thammarat province.

On September 5, we visited the Immigration Office in Surat Thani town. There, we each completed a Form 47, where we reported our home address as still being in Phuket because we did not have the necessary paperwork to show a residential address in Nakhon Sri Thammarat.

The next Form 47 reporting date is December 5.

Our questions are:

1. Now that we have the paperwork verifying our new address in Nakhon Sri Thammarat, can we go to any Immigration office to report our new residential address?

2. What paperwork is needed to support a change of address on the Form 47? We built our own house and we lease the land from a Thai company. Do we need any papers other than a copy of the lease?

If Immigration does accept the change in our residential address before December 17, the date that we must renew our type-O retirement visas, then:

3. Can we apply for type-O visas at the Immigration office either in Surat Thani or Nakhon Sri Thammarat?

4. If “yes”, what paperwork do we need to present, in addition to the following standard list of documents required by Phuket Immigration:

– bank certificate of funds 800,000 Thai baht each person;

– birth certificate;

– marriage certificate;

– passport;

– health certificate.

The Immigration office in Surat Thani has told us that we must apply for new one-year type-O retirement visas in Phuket. and that while we are there, we should ask for the Phuket Immigration office to change their records of our home address. Is this correct?

Don & Inge McMahon, Nakhon Sri Thammarat.

Add Comment
1 Answer(s)

You can register your new residential address at the Immigration office in either Surat Thani or Nakhon Sri Thammarat. You will need to bring your lease for the land, the house registration papers (tabien baan) and your and your wife’s passports.

You should check with whichever office with which you will register your new address whether they require any other paperwork, because some officers ask to see some documents from the landlord or even require that the landlord go to the office with you.

After you have registered your new address, you do not need to travel back to Phuket to renew your permits to stay. You can do this at the Immigration office in the province where you are registered as residents. The documents required are listed in Order 606/2549 Article 7.21 (click here to download the list of documents required).

I suggest you apply to renew your permits to stay at least one month before they expire, and you should call the office where you will apply to confirm which documents are needed as such requirements often change without prior notice.

Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen of the Phuket Provincial Immigration Office.

Answered on November 13, 2007.
Add Comment

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.