Is a wife’s criminal past a problem?

If a foreigner were to marry a Thai woman who had a criminal record, would the foreigner still be able to get a one-year extension of stay on the basis of marriage to a Thai?

Sean Richardson, Australia.

Add Comment
1 Answer(s)

This office considers only the status of the foreigner and the nature of the couple’s relationship when deciding whether to grant the foreigner permission to stay.

For example, are the couple living together – as couples normally do – when an immigration officer visits? This is the kind of information we focus on.

We would not take into account any criminal record the Thai partner might have.

Pol Col Chalermpong Vadhanasukha, the Deputy Superintendent of Immigration Division 3.

Answered on October 20, 2004.
Add Comment

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.