Registering a birth when the father is absent

My son’s Thai girlfriend is due to have a baby in Phuket this year. Can the baby be registered in my son’s name if my son cannot be present, due to illness?

My son will not be able to return to Phuket for a while yet, but both we – his extended family – and his girlfriend want the child to have his name, as well as be a Thai citizen.

Shaz Courtney, United Kingdom.

Add Comment
1 Answer(s)

We can register a birth without the father being present. All we need is a copy of the baby’s father’s passport. We also need a Thai translation of the passport, because we have to fill in the father’s name correctly on the birth registration.

Karnjana Hongboonyanurak, Registration Officer at Muang District Office.

Answered on October 22, 2004.
Add Comment

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.