Thai visa for foreign bride

My name is Els and I’m a 27-year-old women staying in Phuket. I’m getting married with a Thai man next week and will apply for a one-year visa based on my marriage. I got a job offer from a local company that is willing to get me a work-permit.

Do I still have to apply for a non-immigrant B visa? Can I do this at the same time as applying for my one-year visa based on marriage? If this is possible, what documents should I bring from my future employer? How long will it take?

Els Bellon, Phuket.

Add Comment
3 Answer(s)

You can apply for a one-year visa based on marriage, but the application will have to be approved by the Immigration Bureau headquarters in Bangkok. The length of time varies, as each application is considered on a case-by-case basis.

You must apply for a visa based on either your marriage or your work, not both. If you decide to apply for a visa based on marriage, you will have to make sure the Phuket Provincial Employment Office (PPEO) will allow you to apply for a work permit based on your current permit of stay. Otherwise, you will need to leave the country and reenter on a new visa.

Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen, Deputy Inspector of the Phuket Immigration Office.

Answered on November 30, 2004.
Add Comment

Thai law allows foreigners who enter the country on either non-immigrant “B” or “O” visas to apply for work permits. We do not consider whether or not the current permit to stay is based on marriage.

Sawang Maneerat, Technical Labor Officer of the PPEO.

Answered on November 30, 2004.
Add Comment

There is no such thing as a “work-visa”. There are work permits, which are issued by the Labor Department and allow the holder to work; and visas, which are issued by Thai consulates and allow the holder to enter the country.

You also need a “permit to stay”, which is issued at the discretion of the Immigration Police at the border, and which defines how long you may stay in Thailand.

You must have a current “permit to stay” (whether 90-day or one-year) based on a non-immigrant “O” or “B” visa, in order to apply for a work permit.

In Phuket, getting a work permit can take several months from the date of application.

Phuket Gazette

Answered on November 30, 2004.
Add Comment

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.