Visa for Laotian ‘spouse’

I am staying in Thailand on a non-immigrant “B” visa. My partner, a Lao citizen to whom I am not married, is currently having to do a “visa run” every 30 days. We have a child who was born in Thailand. Is there any way, without getting married, that the mother of my child can be “added” to my non-immigrant “B” visa so that there is no need for her to do 30-day border runs?

She does not work as she is effectively a housewife, looking after our baby, so I cannot get a visa issued for her on the basis of work. Thanks.

Daniel Galt, Rawai.

Add Comment
1 Answer(s)

There is no regulation under which an unmarried “spouse” can be issued a visa or permit-to-stay as a dependent on another person’s visa.

In your case, you can only apply for a non-immigrant “O” visa and a one-year permit-to-stay for your child – but not for your spouse.

If you were married with a marriage certificate to prove it, it would be easy for your wife to obtain a visa as a dependent and then apply for a one-year permit to stay.

Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen of the Phuket Provincial Immigration Office.

Answered on January 29, 2008.
Add Comment

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.