Why the new rules for extending a non-imm O visa?

When applying to extend a non-immigrant “O” visa for 12 months on the basis of being married to a Thai, why does the immigration office now require to see 40,000-baht monthly income and a 400,000-baht bank deposit?

No other province in Thailand is asking for both. Last year, the chief confirmed to me that the bank deposit was no longer required since the changes came into effect requiring a letter from your home country’s embassy or consulate confirming your monthly income.

Geoff Morris, Phuket.

Add Comment
1 Answer(s)

There must be a misunderstanding between you and our staff. The minimum requirements for someone with a Thai wife applying for a one-year permit to stay on the basis of a non-immigrant O visa is either a bank account deposit of 400,000 baht or a monthly income of at least 40,000 baht .

The officer might ask you if you have a 400,000-baht deposit to add in the application form, which will make it easier for approval. Usually, even if you do not have the 400,000-baht deposit, we still request to see the bankbook or bank statement proving that you are receiving the minimum income of 40,000 baht.

The rule has not changed. If you have the documents showing that you receive 40,000 baht per month, your permit to stay should be approved.

Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen, Phuket Provincial Immigration Office.

Add Comment

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.