Work permit for permanent resident

Does a foreigner who is recognized by the Immigration Department as a permanent resident and has his name on a tabien baan (house registration document) need a work permit in order to work? If the answer is yes, does being married to a Thai national have any bearing? Does his wife need to form a registered company to employ him, or can she just run an ordinary unincorporated business?

Guenter Bellach, Thalang

Add Comment
1 Answer(s)

Yes, you must have a work permit, even if you want to work with your wife. She must set up a limited company or limited partnership – an unincorporated business may not employ foreigners. A marriage certificate that proves you are married to a Thai may be included among the documentation you provide.

Wassana Thongsakul, Assistant Chief Officer, Phuket Employment Service Office

Answered on February 22, 2001.
Add Comment

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.