SHARE

PHUKET CITY: Phuket Vice Governor Winai Buapradit said today that the Phuket government has received an initial 10 million baht from the government to deal with damage cause by Sunday’s tsunami wave.

He said Interior Minister Bhokin Bhalakula would remain in the province and continue to coordinate humanitarian relief and clean-up efforts, as well as the ongoing search for victims.

He added that he had been in touch frequently with experts at the Thai Meteorological Department (TMD) who had assured him that further seismic tremors and tsunamis are now most unlikely.

“The situation is now back to normal [geologically speaking], and the beaches are safe for anyone who wants to come to Phuket,” said V/Gov Winai.

He added that the provincial government was in constant contact with the TMD to monitor the seismic situation in the region in order to ensure early warning in the event of any more tsunamis.